Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Wicked Problem Project (Final) Cell Phones as Learning Tools

My Wicked Problem Project  is about the presence of cell/mobile phones in the classroom that students were recently allowed to carry. The cell phones  have become more of a nuisance then when they were prohibited. As stated in a previous blog, since students are allowed to openly have them (as long as they are turned off) they constantly fiddle with them, which resulted in me constantly confiscating them. That process, had become more than a distraction than the student fussing with them. I soon realized that this was a battle I was not going to win. That was my problem. So I decided to do something. But what?  I need to allow phones in class. But for another purpose. How can I use this technology for good instead of evil?   I found that there were techniques and teaching strategies associated with apps and websites that students and teachers can use in the classroom. I looked to the TPACK framework and found that I could use cell phones as a learning/teaching tool  if the technology (cell phones in this case) is incorporated across different content, using different forms of technology, and on a regular basis. The following video explains this in more detail.

Solution, turn cell/mobile phones from classroom distractions into learning/teaching devices by implementing the basic cell/mobile phone functions into learning/teaching tools or resources and if students have smart phones, I can implement mobile learning apps that will take learning to the next level. Teachers can poll students, quiz students, or open a brainstorming forum and get instant feedback from students right from their cell phones. Students can record lectures, take pictures, become organized, and "tweet" right from their phones as well. These are just some examples of implementing this technology in the classroom. 

Now my problem was, how can I implement these strategies and techniques without having a classroom of students? (I am currently laid off). How can I find out what works and what doesn't.  I decided to gather a group "focus group." I asked them questions about cell phone use. I asked if they had phones? What did they mainly use their phone for? Do they use their phones in class? What for? Some of their answers surprised me. I learned that, bottom line, not all students have phone. There are more phone-less students than I thought. And that students would stay off their phones in class if the class was more interesting. But most importantly, I need to create a culture of cell phone responsibility and morality. They assure me it can be done. How? I asked. "Just be good to us (students) and we'll be good to you. We'll follow all your rules as long we know you got our back." That simple. And it makes sense. The Golden Rule.

So, that is where I conclude for now. I will definitely implement cell phone use in my classroom when I return to teaching. Until then, I will create a list of norms and procedures for cell phone use. I will determine when I will use this technology and for what lessons. And since not all students have phones, I will pair students with someone who does (or put them in groups) and have students discuss and decide their answers/suggestions as a group before inputting their response. I feel students will embrace these practices.


No comments:

Post a Comment